Thursday 30 July 2015

IWMT 2015: Meet Elizabeth Hough, one of our fabulous sponsors

Elizabeth Hough is a professional neurolinguistic programming (NLP) Practitioner who coaches people to help them achieve their goals in equestrianism, sport, life in general, or work. Elizabeth runs her own coaching consultancy, Your Great Mind, and has generously sponsored the Ian White Memorial Trophy (IWMT) at Smiths Lawn Horse Trials for a couple of years now by donating a 1-2-1 coaching session. Here, she tells us how she became involved in NLP, and how it has helped her to realise her own riding ambitions.

How and why did you become interested in NLP?
When I was an event groom I noticed how the mindset of the rider affected their performance and that of their horse. At this point I hadn't heard of NLP and coaching of the mind was not commonplace. Some years later, I was looking for ways to improve my performance in dressage tests. I was particularly impressed with how top riders across all the disciplines seemed to be able to focus their mind when competing, and not be distracted. Wanting this ability for myself, I investigated different methods of mind coaching, and found great affinity with NLP. So, I went on a course to learn more.

During my  training I witnessed and experienced the creation of positive mindsets and behaviours through the elimination of unhelpful and restricting thoughts and beliefs. Experiencing these changes made me realise that my career path lay in becoming a coach and helping others.


Tell us about your company, Your Great Mind
At Your Great Mind we pride ourselves on our reputation, professionalism, honesty, ethics and client satisfaction.  We are passionate about what we do - facilitating changes in our clients. We coach our clients by listening and really understanding what they want to achieve. We understand where the individual is at that particular point in time, and know what steps they need to take to achieve their goal. In fact, focusing on the steps can be more powerful than focusing on the end result, and by completing the steps, you will achieve your goal by default. We set tasks for our clients along the way. We also take an interest in what happens at home and in general life between coaching, not just what happens in the coaching session itself. I get such satisfaction and pleasure from helping our clients realise their ambitions.

Clipping from Bucks Herald of Immerdor at Futurity
Do you have horses of your own?
Yes, I have three: a gelding (Vigby), a mare (Jazzability) and a 2-year old gelding (Immerdor). They are all KWPN. Vigby is working at medium level in dressage at home and has established his changes and lateral work. He enjoys jumping too over coloured and cross-country fences. We started Jazzability last year so she is making her competition debut this year and I have high hopes for her. Immerdor was awarded a higher first at Futurity last year, so I am aiming higher next time. Since all three have unique characters,  I find NLP is helpful for changing my mindset with each one. The only thing they have in common is four legs and tail when I get on board!
Another member of the team!

You help others achieve their riding ambitions, but what are yours?
To be the best I can be! I believe learning is a constant throughout life, and I enjoy training with some inspirational teachers. My ultimate goal is to be in tune with my horses, to have happy horses, and to ride at Prix St George level in dressage. My NLP and sports coaching skills are being put to good use!


Why do you get involved with IWMT?
Eventing is one of my greatest passions in life, so I'm thrilled for Your Great Mind to get involved in IWMT. Furthermore, I admire Kathryn for keeping the memory of Ian alive through this event, which  promotes awareness of brain tumors and raises funds for The Brain Tumour Charity as well as Sue Ryder Hospice Care. Not only that, but the competition supports amateur riders. It's a brilliant   opportunity for me to help a fellow rider's performance improve through my prize donation.

You can make a donation to the Brain Tumour Charity's Ian White Fund here or to the Sue Ryder Hospice at Nettlebed, who cared for Ian, here.  

Kathryn White is owner and director of Cathean Ltd Medical and Copy Writing Services. She is a published medical, copy and equestrian writer with a passion for creating compelling text in collaboration with her clients. Her customers include pharmaceutical, healthcare and equestrian businesses across the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment