Monday 14 November 2016

Young horse diary: meet Baz

"I'm not looking for a 4-year old!" Well, that was the plan, as I searched for a new horse earlier this year.  And then a beautiful 4-year old found me - but, that's how it works with animals, isn't it? They find you.

And so it was with Baz (aka Hesterdora). Right from the first time we met, this stunning and affectionate bright bay gelding turned on the charm in the stable, wanting lots of fuss and attention. Under saddle he felt like he was totally 'with me' the whole time and I knew, after just one ride, that we would have fun together.

A few weeks later, he arrived at Hill Green Farm Livery. I could not have wished for a more sweet-natured, chilled out chap. Since his arrival he has brought untold joy, and I think he represents a new phase in my life, having no links with my past, only the here and now.

I've never brought on a horse this young before, so it's a steep learning curve for both of us, and I couldn't do it without the unwavering support from the Hill Green posse, and especially Gail and Grace Wilson. I must also thank experienced Dutch trainer and rider, Jeroen Hulsman and his talented team, who started Baz's training and have, therefore, made my life a whole lot easier!

In a short space of time, there have been many firsts - pole work, jumping, adventures to other arenas in the horsebox and having shoes fitted (thank you Bella Tschaikowsky and Adam Watts). And just to make sure I don't get too complacent, Baz suddenly turned rodeo star for a few moments last week just to remind me that he is only 4!

I'll keep you posted with our progress through future blog posts, and please share your own experiences of bringing on a young horse.

 Kathryn White is owner and director of Cathean Ltd Medical and  Copy Writing Services. She is a published medical, copy and equestrian writer with a passion for creating compelling text in collaboration with her clients. Her customers include pharmaceutical, healthcare and equestrian businesses across the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment